Sexual Orientation Discrimination & Harassment
Advocacy for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender LGBT Employees
Members of the LGBT community constantly face sexual-orientation harassment and discrimination in their personal and professional lives. While traditionally, state and federal laws have offered very little protection in terms of sexual-orientation discrimination or harassment, laws across the United States are evolving. A federal executive order and California state law prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of an individual's sexual preferences or association with a member of the LGBT community.
LGBT Discrimination and Harassment Attorneys in the Bay Area
Are you treated differently at work due to your real or perceived sexual preferences? You may have a claim against your employer for sexual-orientation discrimination, sexual-orientation harassment or both. Our Bay Area employment lawyers at Adams | Nye | Becht LLP have extensive experience standing by employees who are subjected to wrongful and illegal behavior in the workplace. Discuss your case in a free consultation. Contact us online. We are prepared to stand up for your rights.
Our San Francisco attorneys represent clients in sexual-orientation discrimination and harassment cases in California.
- Sexual-orientation discrimination: Discriminatory conduct on the basis of sexual preference is not only unfair, it is illegal in California. If you were demoted, were passed over for promotion, received unequal pay, are subject to unfavorable work assignments or endure other discriminatory conduct on the basis of your sexual orientation, you may have a claim against your employer.
- Sexual-orientation harassment: Employees should not have to endure any level of harassment, whether it involves jokes, verbal abuse, unwanted physical contact, physical abuse or any other unwanted conduct. When that harassment is so severe or pervasive that it affects an employee's ability to work, he or she may have a claim for harassment. In some cases, the harassment endured by gay men or other members of the LGBT community may rise to the point that the employee may also have a valid claim for sexual harassment and gender discrimination.
Our attorneys work diligently to investigate your case and provide an honest assessment of how we believe we can help. We strive to hold your employer accountable and provide you with the peace of mind you deserve.
Contact a San Francisco Discrimination Lawyer Today
If you are seeking legal representation in a sexual-orientation discrimination matter or if you would like more information about our services, contact our office today for a free consultation. You can reach our experienced employment law attorneys by calling us at 415-982-8955 or by contacting our law office online.
- Leave Beyond What is Required Under Pregnancy Leave Laws May Be A Required Reasonable Accommodation Under FEHA A case of first impression in the California Court of Appeal clarified the rights of pregnant employees under the Fair Employment and Housing Act ....
- Manager's Deceptiveness during Investigation of Discrimination is Not Protected Activity for Proving Retaliation Providing evasive and untruthful responses and not cooperating with an investigation by an employer is not considered a protected activity under the ....
- Famous Cleo Restaurant Sued for Race and Sexual Orientation Harassment and Discrimination Keyon Wilson, an African-American gay woman, who joined Cleo Restaurant as a line cook on September 21, 2012, claims that she was subjected to racist ....